• People seeking bariatric surgery typically have at least a body mass index of 35 or 40, depending on the presence of obesity-related diseases.
• About 222,000 people with morbid obesity in the United States received bariatric surgery in 2009.
• Gastric bypass surgery can alleviate 90 percent of patients’ Type 2 diabetes and 85 percent of patients’ sleep apnea.
• People who have the surgery could lose up to 50 percent of their excess weight six months after surgery.
• Bariatric surgery typically costs at least $14,000 with insurance coverage varying according to the provider.
Source: American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery