Mmmm! Pineapple Upside Down Cake is one of my favorite desserts, and Theresa Dibert's version is no exception. This is the first time I made the classic cake in an iron skillet, and to my delight, it was a snap to prepare and tasted as wonderful as ever! The combination of cinnamon and nutmeg with the roasted pecans and pineapple create the perfect punch of flavor that makes this cake a must have at seasonal celebrations.
See step-by-step photos of Theresa Dibert's Iron Skillet Pineapple Upside-Down Cake recipe and thousands more recipes from other hometown Americans at:
You'll also find a meal planner and coupons for the recipe ingredients. Enjoy and remember, use "just a pinch"...
IRON SKILLET PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
"This is a great cake!"
What You Need
1 1/3 c butter
1 c brown sugar
1 20 oz can pineapple slices
1/2 c chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 c buttermilk
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Melt 2/3 cup of butter; stir in brown sugar.
• Spread in bottom of 12 inch iron skillet or a 13x9x2 pan. Do not grease.
• Arrange pineapple slices over sugar mixture; place a cherry in the center of each.
• Sprinkle with pecans and set aside.
• In large bowl cream sugar and remaining butter.
• Beat in eggs and vanilla.
• Combine all dry ingredients; add alternately with the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition.
• Pour carefully over sugar mixture.
• Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or toothpick test says done.
• Immediately invert onto serving platter.
Submitted by: Theresa Dibert, Kentucky
© 2011 Just A Pinch Recipe Club. Used by Permission.