Willacy County is the place where the salt road crossed the Wild Horse Desert and there were dreaded sand dunes along the coast. This fertile delta of the Rio Grande River would be magical if the water was added at the right time of the growing season. But how? Here is the story of some of the men who struggled to build the magic Rio Grande Valley.
The Museum of South Texas History’s Sunday Speaker Series presents Glenn Harding’s presentation on the history of Willacy County on Sunday, Aug. 30, from 2 to 4 p.m.
Glenn Harding is a native of Raymondville who wrote his first book Rails to Rio in 2004 to commemorate the upcoming anniversary of the Raymondville railroad. His latest book Willacy County History: The Early Years, was written as a compilation of information his mother, Mrs. R. E. (Nola Lou) Harding, collected.
“Mother collected over 300 ring binders full of South Texas history which she donated to the Reber Memorial Library,” said Harding. “The information is a lifetime of newspaper and magazine clippings devoted to South Texas history.”
Harding will use his book as a guide for his talk on the history of Willacy County. It begins with the shipwrecks of 1554 and continues to the oil and gas that resonates throughout South Texas. The book is also a treasure trove of photographs detailing aerial views of the county, mayors and even homes of the original residents of the county. Harding’s book Willacy County History can be purchased at the Museum Store.
Glenn Harding is a native of Raymondville and received his bachelors in business and agronomy from Southern Methodist University. Harding also holds a parallel degree from Texas A&I University. He managed his family’s Evergreen Farms for over 28 years before becoming a certified jewelry maker for 10. He currently manages the Harding Family Estate in Raymondville.
The Sunday Speaker Series program is included with regular museum admission. FRIENDs of the Museum are admitted free as a benefit of FRIENDship. For more information on the program or becoming a FRIEND of the Museum, call 956-383-6911 or visit www.mosthistory.org. The museum is located on the Courthouse Square in downtown Edinburg.
The Museum of South Texas History remains the best stop for anyone interested in learning about the rich, vibrant history of a nation-sized region bordering Mexico.
Located north of the Hidalgo County Courthouse in Edinburg, Texas, the Museum opened in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum. It was originally housed in Hidalgo County’s Old Jail, a Texas Historical Landmark, built in 1910. The Museum has since expanded to three main buildings, and gives visitors a full understanding of regional history from prehistoric times through the 20th century.
For more information on the collection or the Museum of South Texas History call 956-383-6911 or visit www.mosthistory.org.