With a new year around the corner, the State Energy Conservation Office (SECO) has announced that Texas will be offering a new appliance rebate program beginning Dec. 20.
Approximately $10 million will be available for this new program, which is aimed at promoting awareness of Energy Star appliances and decreasing energy consumption by encouraging appliance replacement.
“Recent technological advancements in many common household appliances are now giving more people opportunities to save money,” said state Rep. Guillen., D-Starr County. “This program will promote energy conservation in our state while being easy on the wallets of Texans.”
The Texas Appliance Mail-In Rebate Program is a traditional mail-in rebate program, and rebates will be available on a first-come, first-served basis until all funds are distributed. Texas residents with a valid residential address may apply for the program if they follow all program rules.
To participate, first research and select a new appliance. Then, on or after Dec. 20, 2010:
1. Purchase a qualifying Energy Star appliance from a Texas retailer or contractor and retain your receipt.
2. Install the new, qualifying appliance in your valid Texas residential address.
3. Either properly dispose of or recycle the old appliance being replaced.
4. Completely fill out a rebate application form, including the appliance disposal or recycling information.
5. Mail in the completed application form with your receipt and any other required documentation (for example, disposal or recycling verification) to the address that will be available before the start of the purchase period on Dec. 20, 2010.
6. Application forms will be ordered by the postmark date on the envelope of the application. If a postmark is missing, the application will be placed in the order based on the day it arrives at the processing facility.
Rates will be offered for appliances in eight categories, including: air-source heat pumps, clothes washers, freezers, room air conditioners, central air conditioners, dishwashers, refrigerators and water heaters. To view the details on eligible appliances, find out more information about the program and get a rebate application form, please visit http://www.texaspowerfulsmart.org/rebate/appliances.php.