Here’s a basic South Texas-style barbecue sauce that you can build on or adjust to your personal taste. It is taken from the 1971 Tex-Mex Cook Book by Sam Huddleston, sponsored by the old First State Bank & Trust of Edinburg.
3 small cans tomato paste
1/2 bottle Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp chili powder
2 tbls prepared mustard
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/4 c lemon or lime juice
3/4 c vinegar
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp red pepper or
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
Combine all ingredients and boil thoroughly. Will keep well in refrigerator.
Pork Tenderloin with Peach Glaze
Pork tenderloin is as lean as skinless chicken breast, with only 3 grams of fat and 120 calories per 3-ounce serving. Grill with fresh peaches to add health-boosting fiber, carbs and vitamins A and C.
1/2 cup peach preserves
1 (1 1/4 pounds) pork tenderloin
2 bunches green onions
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 medium peaches, each cut in half and pitted
1. Prepare outdoor grill for cooking over medium heat. From lime, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 1 tablespoon juice.
2. Make Peach Glaze: In medium bowl, stir preserves, lime peel and juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper until blended. Spoon 1/4 cup glaze into small bowl.
3. Cut pork tenderloin crosswise in half, then cut each piece lengthwise in half. Place pork on hot grill rack; cover and cook 5 minutes. Turn pork over; brush with glaze from medium bowl. Cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes longer or until pork is browned on the outside and still slightly pink on the inside, brushing several times with glaze remaining in medium bowl. Transfer pork to cutting board.
4. Meanwhile, toss green onions with oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Place green onions and peaches, cut- sides down, on same grill rack; cook 3 minutes, turning green onions over once. Transfer onions to platter. Turn peaches over and brush with glaze from small bowl; cook 3 minutes longer or until browned and tender. Transfer to platter with green onions.
5. Slice pork and serve with peaches and green onions. Serves 4.
• Each serving: About 330 calories, 5g total fat (2g saturated), 78mg cholesterol, 515mg sodium, 43g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 32g protein.
For thousands of triple-tested recipes, visit our Web site at www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/.