EDINBURG – FEMA officials want renters to know that they also may qualify for federal assistance for personal property damaged by the recent flood event.

Volunteer groups and FEMA representatives, who have been assessing properties and assisting in communities have heard reports that many renters are not aware of the available assistance to help make sure their living spaces are safe, secure and sanitary.

Renters, like homeowners, will be required to show proof of ownership for their personal property. As a reminder to anyone seeking disaster assistance, the deadline to register with FEMA is September 4. Please have the following information available when registering:


· Address with zip code of damaged property


· Directions to your property


· Condition of your damaged home


· Insurance information, if available


· Social Security number


· Phone number where you can be contacted


· Address where you can receive mail


When you register, you will receive a FEMA registration number. Write down your number and save it. You will need the number whenever you contact FEMA for any follow up questions. A FEMA representative will call you to schedule a visit or will also schedule at the Disaster Recovery Center.

To register, or for more information contact FEMA via 800-621-3362; www.DisasterAssistance.gov; or visit one of three Disaster Recovery Centers located in Hidalgo County. In addition to FEMA representatives, the DRCs also have representatives from the Small Business Administration, Legal Aid, State Health and Human Services, and other agencies.

FEMA does not charge for any service and, representatives working in the community, will present appropriate identification. Disaster assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. Additional websites for health, environmental and mosquito concerns can be found at CDC.gov, EPA.gov, TEXASZIKA.org.