As the Museum of South Texas History’s 1910 Jail renovations come to an end, the new Hidalgo County Courthouse will begin construction. It’s a sign of life’s progress. But, how much has changed in the city of Edinburg? You can find out by visiting at the new temporary exhibit, “Edinburg: Then and Now,” to open Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018, at 10 a.m. at the Museum of South Texas History in Edinburg.
This temporary exhibit, which was designed by Senior Historian Tom Fort and Associate Education Officer Joseph Fox, features side-by-side comparisons between historic photos of early buildings in Edinburg and recent photos showing what these sites are today. These photos include: the Lipscomb building (once a dry goods store on today’s Cano Street), school buildings such as the 1915 Edinburg High School (now on Edinburg CISD’s main administration campus), churches like the Sacred Heart Catholic Church (on 16th Avenue and Kuhn Street), First Baptist Church (formerly on Samano Street and East Champion) and many more. The crown jewel of the exhibit is a 1925 panoramic photo taken from the top of the Cook-Everett building, which perfectly captured the town of Edinburg and the surrounding countryside. This picture was recreated for the exhibit using a camera attached to a drone, and it showcases changes that have occurred over 100 years of the All-America City’s existence. The exhibit will be presented in the Classroom gallery.
On opening day of the “Edinburg: Then and Now” exhibit, the public is welcome to enjoy a walking tour of downtown Edinburg that will start at 8 a.m. Please meet in the museum’s north parking lot ten minutes before. At 10 a.m., the museum will open its doors to Free Saturday Morning, allowing the community to enjoy free admission to the museum and all of its exhibits. Museum visitors are welcome to attend a short multimedia presentation about “Edinburg: Then and Now” exhibit followed by a tour of the exhibit. The exhibit will remain open to the public in the Classroom gallery until mid-2019.