County of Hidalgo Community Service Agency (CSA) will provide energy assistance to eligible low-income residents of Hidalgo County. Applications will be accepted March 23, by appointment only, and are based on appointment availability.

But first, be aware that Energy Assistance Programs are not “Entitlement” programs, and low income residents of Hidalgo County must meet the federal poverty income guidelines. Furthermore, an energy crisis must be present, as determined by program guidelines, and appointments are reserved for clients who have not received assistance within the last 90 days.

Households interested in applying must present the following information:

First, bring original current utility bill: The utility company must have current vendor agreement on file (list of company names will not be disclosed). Sorry, no copies of past due bills will be accepted, and the name on the bill should be the client’s name.

Second, bring proof of income for all household members for the previous 30 days. Members ages 18 through 59 with no income are required to register with the Texas Workforce Commission (proof is required).

Examples of proof of income: Check Stubs (work, child support, unemployment), SSI, SS, etc. 2009 award letter, TANF award letter for previous 30 days.

Third, bring proof of identification for all household members: picture ID, birth certificate or Passport, Social Security cards.

Fourth, bring proof of change in household size for applicants in 2008: proof of address change required (neither handwritten notes nor self-declaration letters will be accepted).

Pre-Screening applications will be available, beginning March 18, at the following locations:

Hidalgo County residents residing west of Ware Road, go to the Community Service Agency’s Satellite Office, located at 724 North Breyfogle Road, Mission.

Hidalgo County residents residing east of Ware Road, go to Community Service Agency’s Main Office, 2524 North Closner Blvd., Edinburg.

For more information, please call (956) 383-6240 or 1-800-522-4021.

Para mas informacion, por favor de llamar a (956) 383-6240 o 1-800-522-4021.